May is just around the corner and you know what that means, right? Sunny days filled with swimming and tanning! Yet, it is not the time to tuck those icky nails into the sand. Face it—you can’t hide your nails in the summer.
Surprisingly, our nails need a little extra TLC during the summer!
Summer Nail Tips
- Yellowing of the nails is not sexy. The spring and summer heat can bake polish into your nails, which leaves behind that gross yellow tint. To prevent this, make sure to always prep nails with two layers of a base coat.
- Weak nails. Believe it or not, chlorine and even the cold air-conditioning can make your nails brittle.
- Cuticles get dry, too! That ocean water that dries out your skin and leaves it looking gorgeous also dries out your cuticles. Dab on some moisture-rich balm to keep those cuticles looking great!
- Nails for days. During the summer months, our nails tend to grow faster than any other season. Whether you have natural or acrylic nails, be sure to keep them in tip-top shape to avoid any possible risk of infection due to the risk of breakage.
- The not so fun side of fungal infections. In the warmer months, we tend to swim, exercise, and frequent spas more. While that is fantastic, it also leads to an increase in fungal infections because the organisms thrive in wet areas. Try to wear flip-flops in the public showers and around the pool and keep your feet dry!
- Skin cancer exists for nails. The sun is a wonderful thing, but if we don’t practice safe sun, then we risk signs of aging and skin cancer. We are even at risk of developing skin cancer in our nail units. Yep, protect those nail beds from the harsh rays!
- Over hydration is a serious problem for our nail health. Going back to number 2, over hydration leads to soft nails that can even detach from the nail bed! Ouch! This condition is called Oncholysis and is a leading cause of fungal infections.
How to Keep Your Nails Looking Fabulous During the Summer:
- Stay hydrated
- Protect your nails from the damaging UV rays!
- Keep your nails dry to avoid fungal infections.
- Bella Manicure to pamper your nails. Our aestheticians will soak your hands, then trim, buff, massage, exfoliate, and finish off with the polish of your choice. In my opinion, this is the perfect way to kick start the warm summer months!
- Aromatherapy Foot Treatment to get your feet sandal ready! This wonderful foot treatment is perfect for tired feet. And let’s face it; our feet are exhausted after working, winter, and exercising. Sit back and relax while our aestheticians massage away all of your worries!
Spring/Summer Nail Trends:
- The runways are filled with models rocking a natural tone. Uh, when in doubt, think back to the beautiful Duchess of Cambridge who prefers neutral tones. Simply classic.
- Long pale nails with a pink hue underneath—think of Louboutins!
- Metallic nails are still a summer staple.
- Chrome is back.
- Summer wouldn’t be complete without blue nails.
- When in doubt, opt for a French manicure or Bellezza Signature Manicure and add some color to the tips!
Regardless of your personal style, professionally kept skin & nails makes a positive statement about who you are. Bellezza Spa understands the importance of maintaining your skin and nails so that they fit business or social occasions. Our team includes nail care artists who can accommodate any request. Services include luxurious manicures & pedicures to fit any lifestyle. From a classic French Manicure to a bold Shellac, we guarantee you will leave our spa feeling relaxed and eager to show off your nails.
What are you waiting for? Book your appointment today and stop hiding those nails of yours!