Facials are considered a luxury item to most, but in our handbook, they are a must. They help us relax and unwind after busy workweeks, but they also keep us young. I choose a glowing complexion, not a pore clogged complexion. What do you choose?
Do you know how to maximize your facial? Join me on the journey to find the should-and-should-not of prepping for your facial.
Maximizing your facial
- Skip the Retin-A for a few days. Now, if you are anything like me, then you rely on this cream to keep your acne at bay. While skipping the retin-a cream for 3-5 days prior to your facial seems frightening, I promise it will be worth it in the end. This cream tends to make your skin more sensitive, which will impair the aestheticians extraction techniques.
- Go naked—I mean no makeup or skincare products! The point of a facial is to thoroughly cleanse the skin, so do yourself and the aesthetician a favor by skipping products for the day. If you show up in makeup, then the aesthetician will remove it.
- Bring questions with you. Scared that the facial you want is not for you? Then, ask your aesthetician what she would recommend. Come armed with your skin woes and the list of skincare products you use. The aesthetician will be able to determine what type of facial will best fit your needs.
- Bare it conservatively. Avoid makeup and sun exposure after your facial. If you have had facials before, then you know that your skin is glowing after a treatment. You just feel so clean and confident with your newly cleansed skin that if you are like me, you skip the makeup anyways. However, it is summer, and I know you want to be out in the sun, but try to avoid it. The skin will be a little more sensitive after your facial, so if you must get those rays, then wear SPF.
- ‘Tis a day of rest. Skip the workout and any activity that may make you perspire for the first 24 hours after your facial. Bellezza Spa uses products that need time to fully absorb in the skin to be the MOST effective. If you perspire during the first 24 hours, then you may sweat out the solution. You will still look gorgeous, but you didn’t MAXIMIZE your facial.
- Drink lots of water. Your skin will thank you for it.
Maximizing your facial between facials:
- Exfoliate weekly. Use a facial scrub that will help remove dead skin cells and leave your skin more receptive to the creams you use daily.
- Hydrate, hydrate, and hydrate some more. While I am an avid drink water person, this time I am referring to moisturizer for your skin. Use a good hydrating product to help maintain your skin’s texture and firmness.
- Shield yourself from the harsh rays. I love the sun as much as the next person, but I do not love peeling skin and sun damage. Wear a daily SPF to help combat early signs of aging caused by the sun’s rays. Outside for long periods of time? Apply every 2 hours or if you believe you have sweated it off, then reapply.
Our recommendation to start summer off right is to get a Deep Cleansing Facial. Our facial service provides a thorough steaming and extraction of pore-clogging sebum. In addition, our aestheticians will apply a healing mask and moisturizer. The perfect start to a summer glow!
Reveal your gorgeous skin today—Book an appointment at our new location in Clifton! Same great services, but even better because we have partnered with Jon David Salon! We can’t wait to see you in Clifton!