“I’m 28 years old and have super embarrassing dark hair above my lip. How can I get rid of my unwanted facial hair? Please help me.” –Mae
Mae, we can all relate to unwanted facial hair growth. It can be really troublesome, but there are a few ways we can tackle the problem:
How to Get Rid of Facial Hair
While this is not technically a hair removal process, it does help change the color of the hair, which camouflages it. This method does involve applying a paste on the facial hair and letting it sit for 10-15 minutes. Similar to dying your hair, you rinse it off afterwards.
- Sensitive to sun exposure
- Not meant for sensitive skin
- If you have thick hair growth, bleaching will not do anything for you. It will be obvious that you bleached it.
- Irritation and burning
While shaving is quite a popular option for men and women, it is not the best for women to remove facial hair. Sure, men look sexy with a 5 o’clock shadow, but when did we ever enjoy kissing that prickly face? I think we can all agree that we haven’t enjoyed the spikes. Now, ladies, we do not want ingrown hair or razor burn above our lips, eyebrows, chin, etc. Shaving does not remove the hair from the follicle, so it may force it to grow back faster and thicker. Best to AVOID this practice all together.
Waxing uses a resin-like substance to remove the hair from the follicle, which shaving does not do. It is a warm mixture spread over the skin and a strip is placed on top of it. Once the wax has cooled, it is pulled off in the opposite direction of hair growth. The end result is smooth and longer lasting for 3-6 weeks depending on your hair growth cycle.
Threading is a hair removal method where a crisscross movement is made holding a thread. The movements slice through hair similar to scissors cutting a cloth.
- Hair will grow back faster because the hair is cut like shaving. The actual hair has not been removed from the root. This results in a short fix for the facial hair problem.
- You may get tiny nicks on your face.
- Threading will leave your pores irritated and sensitive.
Laser hair removal is an expensive way to remove hair, but quite effective in keeping hair growth away. Of course, you will need to have multiple treatments for the results to kick in.
- You will have to wait for hair to grow completely before getting a laser session.
Sugaring is a more natural method used to remove facial hair because it is a sugar paste that is applied to your facial hair. This method is similar to waxing because it removes hair from the root.
- The end results are longer lasting like waxing.
- Sugaring exfoliates your skin.
- Everything can be sugared!
What facial hair removal method works best for you?
Make an appointment today at Bellezza Spa and find out if waxing or sugaring is perfect for you and your hair removal!