Over 45 million Americans suffer from chronic headaches, and out of that, 28 million suffer from migraines. While there are many types of headaches, the tension headache is the most commonly reported amongst our population. After all, as our technological world and economy force us to become more tech savvy and overworked, it really isn’t hard to see why we suffer from so many headaches. I’m sure you have read that Americans work more than a lot of other countries AND we take less vacation. Yet, the real question is why? To survive?
As our days grow colder, the tension headaches seem to arise and the chaos that fills the holiday season rears its ugly head. How do we get rid of headaches when the very thing that causes headaches are what we deal with on a daily basis? Between work, kids, cleaning, shopping, finances, sleep, and doctor visits, I mean where do we even have time to properly relax?
Ways To Stop Tension Headaches
Let’s not beat the dead horse. We may not be changing our daily activities anytime soon, but we can at least attempt to curve the pesky tension headaches with easy to include lifestyle changes.
6 Ways to Avoid Tension Headaches:
- Get Sleep. I know, easier said than done, but our bodies really do need at least 8 hours of sleep a night to fully regenerate. Okay, not convinced that you have time for sleep or that it does anything for you? Well, do you want to wake up in 5 years from sleep deprivation and look like Beetlejuice? I didn’t think so.
- Tips for a more restful night:
- Cut off caffeine by 3 p.m.
- Try your best to remove alcohol and nicotine from your daily diet. Although, I too, appreciate a glass of wine at night to help me relax. Moderation is key.
- Stop playing on your phone, TV, computer, iPad, or whatever device it may be at 8 p.m. Give them a rest, too.
- Remove the TV from your bedroom. Tip: This can enhance your personal life in the bedroom as well.
- Lavender anything. I love lavender spray before bed to help really relax me and ease the chaos that runs amok in my mind.
- A notepad and pen. If you find your mind still running amok, write it all down and deal with it in the morning.
- Tips for a more restful night:
- Reduce Stress. Ha, yes, we all want to reduce stress. Well, consider trying a new method to cope with stress like better time management or breathing techniques. Tip: Don’t be afraid to ask for help from your friends, family, and/or significant other. After all, we are all in this together, right?
- Exercise. Okay, so you are back to arguing with yourself about time and how you just don’t have enough hours in the day to make it work. Well, consider trying a few yoga positions in the early morning while you brew your coffee or a mid-afternoon walk during lunch. Any form of exercise is good for the mind, body, and spirit. Do you have a dog? Well, just because it gets darker earlier does not mean you have to give up walking your dog. Take a late night stroll through the neighborhood with your trusted companion.
- Diet. Now, back to what I mentioned in number 1, try to cut back on alcohol and caffeine. While caffeine helps with headaches, it can also cause them if you aren’t sleeping. Consider drinking more water and eating healthier choices for lunch. A diet can and will make you feel good from the inside out.
- Routine. While our lifestyles seem to differ in routine every day, we simply know that we are just too busy to grab lunch sometimes. However, this can have an adverse effect on you. Try your very best to eat and sleep around the same time every day. Routines will become easier as you continue your new, subtle lifestyle changes.
- Scalp Massage. Research shows that a scalp massage can improve circulation, promote healthy blood vessel activity, release dopamine and serotonin, and decrease the stress hormone called cortisol.
If you suffer from chronic headaches or insomnia like many Americans do, then you can get some relief from a scalp massage performed by one of our qualified massage therapists. Scalp massages can literally enhance your quality and quantity of sleep, increase circulation, induce relaxation, and ease stress.
Say “Goodbye” To Stress
You deserve a day of relaxation and luxury at Bellezza Spa. We suggest you start with our Custom Therapeutic Massage to start releasing the back tension and move on to our Scalp Massage to end the day. We promise you will leave the spa feeling totally relaxed and rejuvenated. For all you know, you may just feel like Wonder Woman and be ready to take on the world!
Want an extra 20% off any spa service you receive? Book your first appointment at our new Clifton location until November 30th and receive 20% off ANY service! We look forward to celebrating our grand opening with you!
Schedule an appointment today!